Cancelled surgeries and self-management

2020, Responses from: Roberta Mek

I have a diagnosis of endo but have had my referral through the public system for surgery declined. My pain and symptoms are horrible, in particular my bowel issues, pain with sex and cramps during my period. Is there anything I can do? I am at the end of my tether and am willing to try anything!

Roberta Mek

Firstly, I’m sorry to hear that your surgery got declined and you left to suffer from endometriosis symptoms.

While you are figuring out your next steps, here are a few tips for self-care. For most of the suggestions be prepared to give some time. You may not get instant relief, but they will keep you going and you will enjoy the long term benefits.

  • For bowel issues try modifying your diet. You could look into anti-inflammatory, gluten-free, or low FODMAP diet.
  • For painful sex start with pelvic exercises. Seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist is a good place to start. It may help with your period cramps as well.
  • For pain management, you can try heat packs, acupressure. Alternatively, acupuncture has been shown to reduce endometriosis pain and may help to alleviate stress, improve sleep.

Of course, this mix of symptoms, especially chronic pain, may cause stress and anxiety. You could consider seeing a counsellor or psychologist who specialises working with chronic pain patients. Alternatively, try some relaxation techniques like gentle yoga, mindfulness or/and meditation. Joining an endometriosis support group like Endometriosis New Zealand will give you a sense of belonging that you are not alone battling these symptoms.

« Return to all Questions

Finding a way forward with hope and strength

About Endometriosis
Endo Treatment
Managing Endo
How We Help
News Blog
My Story
Contact Us