Education in Schools – ‘The best presentation we have had in our health education programme’
stands for Menstrual Health and Endometriosis. is a well-health secondary school education program. It’s unique, interactive, fun, informative and designed to fit with school curriculum. is age appropriate and uses a variety of teaching strategies, presenting techniques and educational tools to evoke thinking and action.
Endometriosis New Zealand has built strong relationships with secondary schools through delivering since 1995. The program is highly acclaimed, well audited and evaluated and recognised internationally. In 2007, was a finalist in the NZ Health Innovation Awards and received the Paul Newman Foundation Award.
The programme is now published in ANZJOG (Australia New Zealand Journal of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. The study, “Endometriosis education in schools: A New Zealand model examining the impact of an education program in schools on early recognition of symptoms suggesting endometriosis” by Bush. D., Brick. E., East, M C., Johnson N. (2017) is the first piece of literature globally which examines the outcome of a health education programme in schools and assesses whether it makes a difference.
What students said (examples of feedback from 2016/2017)
- “Considering the fact I’ve never heard of endometriosis, this presentation pretty much game me all the knowledge I needed to know about this.” -Female
- “Your presentation is awesome, and game me better insight into what endometriosis is” -Male
- “I learnt not to be afraid to talk about it!” -Female
- “I think it is great we are being told about endo. THere must be so many girls with distressing pains and other symptoms who think what they are feeling is normal that are being helped by this program!” -Female
- “I think it is a really valuable presentation. It should come to every school every year. Everyone should know about endometriosis” -Female
What teachers said (examples of feedback from 2016/2017)
- “Very important and insightful for the students to listen to. I think you provide a really important service to our young people. Thank you”
- “Excellent delivery and engaging for both/all genders which is fantastic – as often just ‘females’ see the need to know this content.”
- “The presenter was amazing! The kids really loved it and it was super informative. Students came up afterwards to say thanks and that they are going to their Doctor to get checked”
- “It empowers the girls who live with the stigma of the disease and helps them in their relationships. It shows the girls and staff how to identify the symptoms of endometriosis. Those delivering the programme are very approachable so that girls do not feel too embarrassed to ask for help. It creates a community of support for them at home and school, involving their peers who are not affected”
- Your presentation was amazing. I know from discussions from students and from what I saw you were informative, professional and were able to develop an immediate rapport with the year 11 girls. A fantastic presentation that I would highly recomment to all schools. Thank you for making time to come visit us.”