Chief Executive Endometriosis New Zealand
Director EPP Coaching and Consulting
Ambassador World Endometriosis Society
Woman of the Year 2012 Health and Science
Deborah co-founded Endometriosis New Zealand (ENZ) and is currently based in Christchurch.
She has had a global influence on health promotion and prevention of endometriosis and is recognised as having expert knowledge in her field. Using her experience as a teacher, she developed the world’s first Menstrual Health and Endometriosis adolescent education programme in schools in 1997 (‘me’). A unique well-health model promoting early intervention and appropriate management, ‘me’ is profoundly influencing positive change and improved health outcomes for this age group. Deborah has contributed to the medical literature through published articles, stories and books.
She is a popular, entertaining and motivational speaker and has frequently presented at international academic conferences and as key note speaker and MC at many functions. She was described by the judges at the Woman of the Year Awards in 2012 as “a pioneer, a visionary, a highly effective lay person in a specialised medical world bringing relief from disability and pain to thousands.”
Deborah has established and maintains:
- a national charitable non-government organisation, Endometriosis NZ
- health initiatives and ground-breaking programs designed for schools, workplaces, hospitals and CME and communities
- EPP Coaching and Consulting; her private practice for women and girls with endometriosis and pelvic pain with sessions offering education, well-health coaching and management strategies. The service integrates into multi-disciplinary clinics offering treatment expertise.
Deborah’s achievements are reflected in the following awards:
- Queens Service Medal (QSM), Queen Elizabeth II Birthday Honours, 2003.
- ‘Commonwealth Award for Excellence in Women’s Health’ to Endometriosis New Zealand under her leadership.
- Paul Newman Award for Services to Women’s Health, 2007.
- ‘International Outstanding Service Award’ commemorating the 100th Year Celebration of International Women’s Day, 2011.
- Zonta International ‘Woman of the Biennium Award’ 2011 – 2013.
- Woman of the Year – Health and Science, 2012
- Ambassador to the World Endometriosis Society, the only non-medic in the world